Monday 12 September 2011

Dirt



Dirt is at the bottom of things. No matter where you go, you see dirt, you smell it, you feel it, and you feel dirty. I know here in the middle of winter it's not dirt that bugs me, its mud. I know dirt is just mud without that water.
   I pulled my gumboot out of the mud that I accidentally got it stuck in and then I realized my other foot got stuck twice as bad. I stuck my other foot back in the gumboot. Then I pulled at my other gumboot. Nothing. Not even a slight hint of movement. I used two hands braced myself. My gumboot came loose and I went flying backwards.

SPLAT!

I had landed back first in the mud all my hair and everything covered in mud. I staggered up and fell again, this time landing face forwards.
  I crawled to the gate and out into the drive and stood up. I walked to the door of my house and discovered my brother and his wife had arrived while I was out in the back paddock fighting with my gumboots.

“Don't ask, and don't laugh” I said without cracking a smile. Too late though. My brother howled with laughter and my sister in law sniggered.

I sighed. It didn't really work though because when I sighed mud went everywhere. I trudged into my house and threw open the door leaving mud all over the door handle. I took my muddy gumboots off but when I walked through the house it still left mud tracks.
  I don’t think I would ever win. With Mud, Dirt or Dust!

I think I shall be forever scarred by this. Erm how about embarrassed?

1 comment:

  1. hahaha lol thats hilarious! keep up the awesome writing, you sure have a gift here :)

    ReplyDelete