Monday 12 September 2011

The Last Dance





I stood on top of the cliff, eyes on the pier below. As normal there was nobody down there.
  My eyes scanned the edge of the cliff, searching and finding the little path that ran down the cliff. I cautiously walked towards it, and having reached it i dropped down in the little hollow that started the path, and then started running down the cliff, carefully avoiding the rusting rail and the edge of the cliff.
  My heartbeat accelerated, and my bare brown feet flew down the path. I could feel even my pulse pounding in my throat and my heart hammering to be let out.
  I couldn’t stop myself when I reached the fishing pier, because of the speed I was going. So I just kept on running and when I reached the end of the pier I flung my arms out wide and then pointed them out behind my back and dove in headfirst.
  The water was icy. It all rushed by my face as I tried not to shiver in the water. I let myself fall deeper and deeper in the salt water. When I finally opened my eyes the salt water stung my eyes and the water was a dark blue. I could see the sand not very far beneath me. I could feel my lungs start to scream. So I slowly folded my body in half so my hands could touch my toes, only I flung my toes down until they were pointing at the ocean floor. I used my arms to glide me to the surface. The surface never seemed far away no matter how far I sank to the bottom.
  I had this insane fasciation with the ocean. In the worst storms of the season I would sneak down here and stand on the pier and just stand there and listen. When there was too much lightning I would sit here with my back and my feet touching the poles that supported the planks.
  This was where I spent my days. If I could. This was where I felt real, and not just another teenager in the world. This was where I could live. Not like at home where everybody saw me and thought about my funeral. I have cancer. I only have three months to live.
  You see, when you are dying you don’t want to be around people who pity you, or treat you as though you are already gone. You really want to be around people who celebrate that you are still alive, and enjoy living with you. Like the ocean. Like down here at the pier. Like where I am now, soaking wet and freezing cold, but I shall stay here until I cannot anymore, dancing with the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment